Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

writing to the title

i don't really write stories with the title first. usually, i don't come up with any title until halfway through the story. then i change it six times.

but in a discussion about titles last night, i wondered what title would get me to instantly buy anything inside the book just because of the title.

i took all of my favorite words and piled them into one title.

i want to write the story just because i adore the title.

"Coffee with the Jesus Christ Robot in the Berlin Zeppelin"

hm... now if only i can come up with a story...
it would be a best-seller in my living room.

4 comments:

K.C. Shaw said...

My dad used to say he wanted to write a book--I think he even said "memoir," which knowing him would be accurate--titled Slam Dancing with Jesus at the O.K. Corral. I like yours better, though. More robots.

J m mcdermott said...

I'd buy that book, too!

Gunslingers for Jesus!

Janet said...

Sorry, just doesn't do it for me. I thought Slouching Toward Bethlehem would be a super cool title till I found out it's been used. Twice. (Essays though.) And Slouching
Toward Kalamazoo has been used too. I have to admit, that one makes me curious.

Keanan Brand said...

The original post, and K.C.'s comment, made me laugh out loud. I'd read BOTH books!