Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

whinge whinge whinge

i'm off work every monday no matter what. this means, that i'm hard at work every monday trying to be a brilliant writer.

yesterday it didn't quite work out for me. i gave up around nine o'clock after a full day of slamming my head against a computer screen and only coming up with blood to show for it.

then, i dug through my recent and forthcoming short stories to figure out which one i should read at apollocon.

i discovered something that makes me squint and go "rrr..."

my best short story - my interstitial steampunk/death/futurismo fantastickal tale is currently unsold. it's out on submission.

strange horizons passed on it. i usually send stories to strange horizons first, even if i'm not sure if the fit is right. the fit wasn't right. i had to hack the story down pretty bad to get it in submit at clarkesworld - about 1000 words, actually - but after gutting the story to get the 4000 wordcount rule, i was unsurprised to see it rejected.

i'm waiting patiently for the third place i sent it.

and i want to read it at my next convention, because i think it's probably the best, strangest, surrealest story i got. if it isn't sold anywhere, i don't feel right reading it.

which depressed me. but it didn't depress me as much as banging my head against a keyboard all day and only coming up with a couple hundred words that weren't total garbage.

whinge whinge whinge.

go read a good book, or watch some anime, while i clean the blood off my keyboard!




Post a Comment