Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Outer Alliance Pride Day

I don't believe I'm a member of the Outer Alliance, as I didn't even know until I checked Hal Duncan's blog about this particular day. I do think there is a severe shortage of gayness in popular culture, including speculative fiction*.

I've noticed it's harder to sell short stories with gay leads than with straight leads, and though I don't know specifically why, I can't help but suspect the reason some stories get rejected is the gayness of the lead character in an otherwise excellent story. It's only actually explicitly been explained to me that way a couple times by the editors (I'll never name names, so don't ask!**).

Anyway, it's Outer Alliance Pride Day, and it's certainly where I'll be travelling amongst the blog-o-sphere stars today:

Here's their masthead:

[quote] As a member of the Outer Alliance, I advocate for queer speculative fiction and those who create, publish and support it, whatever their sexual orientation and gender identity. I make sure this is reflected in my actions and my work. [/quote]

(*Gay guys and gals deserve a decent action hero. Seriously. Do you have any idea how many real life action heroes - cops, fireman, paramedics, etc - are gay and lesbian? Some of these folks could kick Rambo's ass, then take him to a hospital to save his kicked ass.)

(*Just to be certain there's no misunderstanding, the two wouldn't surprise you if you heard, and neither one is a SFWA Qualifying Market)

No comments: