Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Monday, April 18, 2011

no photographs

In North Carolina, I don't believe anyone photographed the events of the hour. The North Carolina crew of BullSpec was on-hand to launch their latest issue: #5. (I've been working my way through the issues as I can, and I have been very impressed with the production quality and the fiction. Definitely a magazine to watch out for in the months and years to come!)

I drove up through the wooded hills and mountains of Georgia, South Carolina, and over into Raleigh.  I was pleased to discover that Quail Ridge Books is an excellent, excellent bookstore with lots of great titles. I made a few purchases of my own, while there, including David Halperin's novel, and an issue of TriQuarterly.

When the panels and readings began, quite a lot of excellent stuff started happening. David Halperin and Jay Requard both read from their latest novels. The Crossed Genres crew made a strong showing with some excellent fiction and talks by editors. Bull Spec, as well, had a strong showing with the excellent story "Absinthe Fish" by M. David Blake, and part of the cover story to issue #5 (that I'm not up to in my reading, yet...)

Basically, it was awesome. If you were there, you know that. If you weren't there, you wish you could be. If you get a chance to attend an event put together by Samuel Montgomery-Blinn, I recommend it. A great time was had by all, and everyone walked away the better and the stranger for the fiction that was present and presented at the night in question.

PS I've come up for air, before diving back into the water. I'm trying to finish this thing so I can finish something else and so I can find new things ot keep my hands busy. Dogsland is deep in me. Dogsland is everywhere I look. Always Dogsland.

PPS Maze is coming

1 comment:

M. David Blake said...

Thank you for the kind words!

Any event Samuel Montgomery-Blinn hosts is exceptional, and it was a pleasure to participate in this one.