Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

why do you go to a bookstore?

since Borders is turning itself into some kind of strange experiment in brick and mortar shopping experiences, I thought now is a great time to ask this question of readers:

Why do you go to a bookstore?

I tell you this: when I want a specific book, I order it. When I want to browse, and come to some kind of decision and discover something new, I go to a bookstore.

I see the model proposed by Borders as a reason never to return to Borders stores. They will not give room for browsing.

Am I alone? Am I the only one who shivers at the thought of a store where books are stocked akin to cereal?

I know books are a difficult business, like comic books, but how often do you go to a store for the pleasure of browsing, and how much of what it is a joy to find would we lose if our store shelves were packed with just the best-sellers?

Tell me. Talk. Rant. Whatever.

Post a Comment