Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

About the term Zombieconomy

So, this post about the Zombieconomy in the wake of Jack-o's death, and what it means to performingand recording artists of the world.

It's no wonder that so many of the most talented musicians I know about don't show up on the MTV Celebrity Machine.

Many other folks can tell you all sorts of things about that.

I just thought I'd mention that as far as I can tell that has absolutely nothing to do with book publishing.

Unlike music, authors tend not to be traveling around to sold out reading events. In fact, if I was charging for readings, I suspect my family would only come if they were given tickets gratis. My friends, also, would probably not be able to make it.

Unlike music, no one wants to plaster my likeness all over consumer goods.

Unlike music, people do not create their fashion-identity around the way my characters dress.

I could go on.

The point is that producers of stuff of value - like me - are not all operating under the same market rules. Music, movies, video games, books, fashion, and all sorts of numerous and diverse items and errata are all unique.

Be careful when creating such BIG, CATCHY, BUZZ-FRIENDLE words like "Zombieconomy", because it might spill over into places where there is no place for the ideas that created the word.

No comments: