Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

John wins a button







Says John about these photos:

"I'm sending you the "best" pictures from my ant escapade. I tried two different ant mounts, yeilding two very different results. You'll find that the common red fire ants (Solenopsis invicta) were very active and interested in the book, attacking it en masse. These I found in the backyard, and only sustained minimal bites. The others I traveled down the street into a vacant lot for. They were red harvester ants (Pogonomyrmex barbatus), larger but more docile ants, and I thought were going to be the best for shooting. However, they did not find the book to be all that interesting and instead focused their attempts on keeping the entrance/exit into the subterrainian mound secure. Respecting their reserve from my nuisance, and their unoffical protection status, I abated. I sustained no bites from these ants whose venom is the most potent of any ants species"

You want a button now, party people, you gots to top the guy who braves fire ants to take a memorable photo. I want Japanese Huntsman Spiders!

Good job, John!

No comments: