Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

adventure baking!

I love to bake, but I hate following recipes. What does this mean? It means whenever the baking bug bites me, I discover who my true friends are.

"What is it?"

"Just try it. It's good."

"Okay, but what is it?"

"Seriously, just try it!"

"It looks kind of... purple. Is it supposed to be purple?"

"Just try it!"

"What's in it?"

"Flour... Eggs... Grape juice... Curry Powder...Tequila..."

"I'm not putting that in my mouth."

"It's good!"

"Seriously, get that sh** out of my face."

"The frosting was made from powdered sugar and orange juice. It's a very simple little glaze. It really enhances the curry."

"I am going to hit you if you do not get that sh** out of my face right now. I will hit you very hard, in places you might need later."

"Aw. You're no fun. I guess you're not really my friend."

Sometimes I'll follow a recipe until I get bored, then wander off new and exciting pathways in the recipe.

Always, the results are surprising, and sometimes genuinely hideous like the banana+italian seasoning nightmare scenario, but they are always interesting.

Things every adventure baker needs? Flour, pancake mix, baking soda, yeast, eggs, butter, sugar, various herbs and spices, and plenty of tenacious curiosity.

Adventure baking is fun. You never know what you will discover!

Go forth! Create! Eat the evidence (if you can... *hurk* wow, too much curry, not enough cocoa powder)!

Also, you will discover who is your friend enough to at least take a bite of the strange lumps of baked good that emerge from your oven.

Believe it or not, many of them will be quite tasty, despite the fact that no one else will eat them out of foolish fear.

Recipes are boring.

No comments: