Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Friday, January 18, 2008

i like this cafe

two men are sitting across from me. One of them is reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five". The other is reading "The French Revolution" by Mr. Doyle.

I like to ask people what they're reading. I am always curious to see how people feed their brains.

Of course, the question arises: do people read one thing at a cafe and another at home, where no one is looking?

Hm. I do know that my computer will probably stop working any second now, and I just wanted to say that I have been taking a ride on an airship with Thomas Pynchon, and I am most pleased. Most, most pleased.

Indubitably, this text is most delightful.

2 comments:

Charles said...

As much as possible, I try to keep the hardcovers at home because they're bulky and heavy. But aside from that, there's few books that I'm "ashamed" to read in public.

J m mcdermott said...

I'll be the first to admit that I won't read my copy of the Book of Mormon (which I acquired in a vaguely sub-legal manner) in public.

Also, I rarely gander at romance novels where people can see. gotta pretend to be a tough ol' cowboy, right?